It’s Been Awhile

I’m not sure if you noticed, but it’s been a little while since I’ve updated.  I’ll give a brief recap of what’s been going on since my last entry.

I was discharged late in the morning on February 21st.  Since we didn’t have the kids with us, Lindsey and I made a quick jaunt to Puerta Vallarta.  We got home about 1:30 and I promptly went to bed.  I got up around 6 to shower and eat, and then was back in bed by 8.  I slept until about 9:30 the next morning.  Sleep was a big part of my life for the first few days after chemo.  I literally would wake up only to eat and hang out for an hour or so after each meal and then go back to bed.  I was just so tired, I couldn’t function.
Back to Work
After being off for a few days, I started my regular pattern (I was recently told doing something 3 times makes it a pattern) of working from home.  Unfortunately, I hit a snag early in the process.  After about 45 minutes of sitting at my desk I started getting headaches and got a bit dizzy too.  I laid down and the problem went away.  I sat back up and the problem reappeared.  It didn’t take too long to figure out that sitting at my desk wasn’t going to work.  So, as a dutiful employee, I plopped my laptop down on the floor and worked while laying on my stomach.  I did this pretty much for an entire week.  The theory is that the spinal tap I received didn’t heal fully right away.  Thus, when I was sitting at my desk or up for 45-60 minutes, there was an imbalance in the pressure of the fluid and it caused headaches.  By laying down, it relieved the pressure and the headaches/dizziness went away.  Only being able to sit or stand for short periods of time was kind of a bummer all the way around, so hopefully it doesn’t happen next time.
Back in the Office
I worked from home for 2 weeks and now I am working in the office.  It’s good to be back and for the 3 days I’ve been there, I’ve made it through each one.
In Summary
My third round of chemo was a little rougher than the first two.  As you might recall, I alternate between 2 sets of chemo.  So the 3rd round was actually the 2nd time I’ve received the first set.  If you want to impress your friends, you can use the slang and refer to my third round as my “2A” dose.  I was more tired, had a few more headaches, a little more nausea and a lot more reflux.  Overall though, it was still quite bearable so I can’t complain too much.
What’s Next
I’ll continue to work and enjoy time at home with the family over the next two weeks.  I go back in for my 4th round of chemo on March 27th (ie 2B).  Then I still have 4 more rounds after that (3A, 3B, 4A, 4B).  If all goes according to plan, 4B will be my final round of chemo for the rest of my life.  That will be a very nice thing 😉
A Duck Dynasty Prayer
Father God, thank you for healing.  Thank you for remission.  Thank you for getting me through the lows of chemo and back to the highs of life.  Give me confidence for the next round.  Help me to spend my time enjoying how I feel now and not dreading how I will feel later.  Let me not worry about tomorrow.  Thank you for another day.  Amen.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s